The bodies of four remaining Italian divers were found Monday in the Maldives, four days after they went missing while exploring an underwater cave.

An elite team of three expert divers from Finland located the bodies of Monica Montefalcone, 52, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, 20, Muriel Oddenino, 31, and Federico Gualtieri, 31, Italy’s foreign ministry said.

The group was found inside Thinwana Kandu cave, also known as “shark cave,” by the squad, which was assembled in 48 hours by the group Divers Alert Network Europe.

Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF) Coast Guard vessel in the Vaavu Atoll.
The Maldives coast guard conducts a search and recovery operation in the Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, May 16, 2026.SOPHIA NASIF/EPA/Shutterstock
Their bodies were discovered in the third section of the cave — furthest from the entrance — according to Italy’s Foreign Ministry.

The causes of death for the five have not yet been established, Italy’s foreign ministry said.

Stormy weather meant that a yellow warning was in place for passenger boats and fishermen at the time of the dive on Thursday morning at Vaavu Atoll, some 60 miles south of the capital Male, according to police.

Monica Montefalcone, an Italian scuba diver, on a boat with rocky cliffs in the background.
Monica Montefalcone, 52, was among the four missing divers found Monday.Greenpeace via AP
A recovery mission to bring the bodies back to the surface will take place over the next few days, authorities said.

“Further dives [are] to be carried out in the coming days to recover the bodies,” Mohamed Hossain Shareef, a Maldivian government spokesperson, told BBC News.

Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF) Coast Guard vessel in the Vaavu Atoll.
Montefalcone’s daughter, Giorgia Sommacal, was also found.Giorgia Sommacal / Instagram
The elite diving trio, comprised of Sami Paakkarinen, Jenni Westerlund, and Patrik Grönqvist, arrived in the Indian Ocean nation on Sunday to help local authorities with the search.

The divers, who previously took part in the successful rescue of a Thai soccer team in 2018, were called in after local authorities were unable to provide the necessary equipment to reach the 500-foot depth required to enter the caves.

On Saturday, a Maldivian search diver, Sgt. Major Mohamed Mahudhee became the sixth victim of the Maldives’ worst-ever diving disaster when he died in his attempts to locate the missing tourists.

Muriel Oddenino, a young woman with long blonde hair, wearing a white "London" t-shirt, poses outdoors.
Muriel Oddenino’s body was discovered in the “shark cave” along with her group.Muriel Oddenino / Facebook
A further 20 Italian tourists were on board the Duke of York yacht when it began its doomed mission to the dive site on Thursday.

They have all returned to Italy following the terrifying ordeal.

Authorities are still looking into the circumstances behind the disaster.

The diving group, mostly from the University of Genoa, had permission as part of their research mission to study the coral reefs, including deep dives, but their proposal made no mention of entering the cave, Shareef said.

Federico Gualtieri posing on rocks by the sea with a coastal town in the background.
Federico Gualtieri was recovered along with the others.