TRAGIC theories have emerged after five Italian tourists mysteriously drowned while on a daring 200ft cave diving trip in the Maldives.

The holidaymakers set off to explore the depths below the Vaavu Atoll on Thursday morning but failed to return.

NINTCHDBPICT001080885316
Respected marine biologist and TV personality Monica Montefalcone was one of the five diversCredit: Not known, clear with picture desk
 

A smiling woman with freckles, blue eyes, and a heart-shaped necklace.
Her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, 20, is reportedly among the deadCredit: instagram
Among the victims were university professor and TV personality Monica Montefalcone, whose body was recovered during yesterday’s initial rescue mission.

Her 24-year-old daughter Giorgia Sommacal had accompanied her on the dive.

The other three Italian tourists were named as Muriel Oddenino of Turin, Gianluca Benedetti of Padua, and Federico Gualtieri of Borgomanero, reports say.

The group set off aboard the luxury Duke of York yacht on a €2,000 (£1,741) scuba trip to explore Alimatha, one of the atoll’s most popular diving spots.

Read more in World

Trump warns ‘decimation’ of Iran to go on & says Xi is losing patience with regime

A yellow weather warning had been issued earlier in the day as strong winds of up to 30mph battered the idyllic islands.

Illustration of a cave diving disaster, showing a timeline of events, a map of the Maldives, and theories for the divers' deaths.
 

Muriel Oddenino sitting on a beach chair in a black bikini.
Muriel Oddenino of Turin is among the believed victimsCredit: Facebook
The Maldives National Meteorological Office had warned dive organisers to exercise extreme caution given the deteriorating weather.

A statement on its website read: “The [office] predicts that the southwest monsoon (Hulhangu) will increase in strength over the Maldives during this period, particularly in the central and southern atolls.

“With strong winds, rough seas, and widespread rain — all seafarers are advised to pay close attention to weather conditions.

Elite divers begin perilous mission to find Maldives tourists lost in cave

Brit among three injured after cornice crashes onto terrace table in Menorca

“Diving and water sports organizers are requested to pay particular attention to weather conditions.”

Collage of maps and photos illustrating the diving tragedy in the Maldives.
 

NINTCHDBPICT001080885314
Gianluca Benedetti also died in the tragedyCredit: Not known, clear with picture desk
Despite the alert, the group went ahead with the expedition.

They were attempting to explore caves 160ft below the water, but are speculated to have encountered issues with visibility on their trip.

One theory is that turbulent waters threw up sediment, impairing their visibility, causing them to panic and lose their bearings.

Police haven’t ruled out that one of the five may have gotten stuck while the others ran out of oxygen trying to free them.

NINTCHDBPICT001080892549
Federico Gualtieri from Borgomanero was also on the tripCredit: Refer to Source
 

A diver underwater writing notes on a slate.
Monica was a respected marine biologist
Diving experts have also speculated that the group had defective tanks with an inadequate mixture.

Claudio Micheletto, a former hospital director and pulmonology expert, said: “It is likely that something went wrong with the tanks.

“Death from oxygen toxicity, or hyperoxia, is one of the most dramatic that can occur during a dive, a horrible end.

“When you breathe too high concentrations of oxygen, the gas becomes toxic to the body.

NINTCHDBPICT001080898713
The group set off aboard the luxury Duke of York yachtCredit: Instagram
 

NINTCHDBPICT001080895188
They went on a cave diving expedition around Vaavu AtollCredit: Shutterstock
“During the dive, dizziness, pain, altered state of consciousness, and disorientation occur, conditions that make it impossible to ascend to the surface.

The oxygen toxicity would also cause “both neurological and respiratory damage.”

The crew raised the alarm when they saw that the group was not returning at around midday.

The first body was recovered at 6.15pm during a dangerous rescue operation.

Search teams then deployed boats, an aircraft and dive teams to recover the remaining bodies.

They have been joined by an experienced Italian diver.

Additional teams and specialised equipment have been sent to recommence what officials described as a dangerous, high-risk operation.

Real reason Katie Price came back to UK and refuses to return to Dubai

An initial dive is expected to explore the cave’s access points, with the recovery mission resuming this morning.

Meanwhile, the Italian Amassador to Colombo, Sri Lanka – responsible for the Maldives – has arrived in Male to meet with officials.