A HEARTBREAKING FAREWELL: Sydney mourns the loss of 12-year-old Nico Antic

Nico Antic: Family, friends give devastating update on 12yo mauled in shark attack at Shark Beach in VaucluseNico Antic was attacked by a shark after jumping off rocks into Sydney Harbour.

Nico Antic was attacked by a shark after jumping off rocks into Sydney Harbour. Credit: The Nightly

Family and friends of a 12-year-old boy mauled by a shark during an afternoon swim with friends on Sunday have given a grim update on his prognosis.

Nico Antic was jumping off rocks into the water near Shark Beach in Vaucluse, NSW, when the predator, believed to be a bull shark, attacked, leaving him with catastrophic injuries.

Both his legs were severely injured and he is in a critical condition in Sydney Children’s Hospital after undergoing emergency surgery on Sunday night.

His parents, originally from South America, are at his bedside. On Wednesday, an immediate family member reportedly told the Daily Mail that Nico is “still asleep, but will not be able to make it because his brain is completely unresponsive”.

“He is a sporty kid and never fails to put a smile on people’s faces. He is loved by many friends and family.”

Nico has been described as a “sporty kid”. Nico has been described as a “sporty kid”. Credit: Unknown/GoFundMe

On Tuesday, family friend Victor Piñeiro, who has set up a GoFundMe campaign to support the Antic family, gave a bleak update on the boy’s condition in a statement to support the fundraising efforts.

“Despite all efforts, this heartbreaking event has led to the worst possible outcome,” he wrote.

“We are raising funds to help the Antic family cover upcoming expenses and related arrangements during this incredibly difficult time.”

Nico’s plight has inspired around 1500 people to donate to the GoFundMe campaign. As of 12.30pm AEDT, it had raised $113,000.

Among those donating was Kate Barley, whose 15-year-old son Khai Cowley died in a shark attack in 2023.

“From one mum to another, my heart is holding you so tightly. I lost my beautiful boy Khai in a shark attack in SA — he was only 15 — and I know how unbearable this waiting and fear can be. Your precious boy is in our thoughts and prayers, and your family is being held with deep love and strength right now,” she wrote.

Speaking of the courageous efforts to save Nico, Superintendent Joseph McNulty earlier this week said one of his friends had bravely jumped into the water to help him in the moments after the attack before two others helped pull him onto a nearby rock.

The police boat arrived soon after with officer aboard applying tow tourniquets, one for each leg to stem the bleeding.

He was given a blood transfusion while in the ambulance on his way from the Rose Bay ferry wharf to the hospital in Randwick.

NSW Ambulance inspector Giles Buchanan said of the rescue effort that it was “touch and go” the whole way to the hospital.

Nico’s attack was the beginning of a spree of shark attacks in NSW over three days. Andre de Ruyter was left in critical condition after an attack at Manly’s North Steyne Beach on Monday night and an 11-year-old boy had a close call after his surfboard was bitten at Dee Why on Monday morning.

“THE SEARCH ENDS IN TRAGEDY. 🛑📉 In a moment that has paralyzed the community, disturbing new information has emerged regarding the Guthrie case. Sources describe a scene of ‘absolute heartbreak’ as a suitcase was pulled from the water, ending the search in a way no parent should ever endure. Holding back tears, Savannah faced the reality of a crisis that has now reached its darkest chapter. There are no words for this kind of loss—only a heavy silence and a demand for the truth. See the confirmed details from the scene in the FIRST COMMENT.
I couldn’t control my mind anymore…” — Ilia Malinin breaks his silence for the first time, revealing the moment he ‘collapsed in silence’ as negative thoughts flooded in just before his Olympic skate, leading to a devastating double fall that left the entire arena stunned and shattered his medal dream in a matter of fateful minutes 😱💔
“She was six months pregnant when she answered a knock at her door… and she never walked back inside alive.”  30-year-old Eliza Morales was found stabbed inside her burning Illinois apartment after, prosecutors say, she tried to fight off an intruder forcing his way in. Fire crews arrived to smoke and flames — but what they discovered inside was even more heartbreaking. Dinner was being prepared. She was home alone. She was visibly pregnant.  Authorities say 19-year-old Nedas Revuckas now faces charges including first-degree murder and the intentional homicide of her unborn child.
“A CRISIS NO ONE SAW COMING. 🛑📉 Arizona is at the epicenter of a massive development as Savannah Guthrie is officially linked to a fast-moving national emergency. The speculation ends here—what’s coming out of the desert tonight is leaving millions absolutely speechless. This isn’t just a headline; it’s a bombshell that changes everything we thought we knew. From the quiet of the desert to the center of a media firestorm, the countdown to the full reveal has begun. Stay tuned—the next update will leave the world stunned!
“Do you have my back?” — some of the final words spoken by 12-year-old Drayke Hardman before he took his own life.  For over a year, he endured relentless bullying at school. Just days before the tragedy, he came home with a black eye. Instead of fighting back, he chose kindness — hoping friendship would soften the cruelty aimed at him.  A bright, gentle child pushed to the brink. A family shattered. A community demanding answers.
“‘PLEASE PRAY FOR MY LITTLE GIRL.’ 🕊️🙏 The heartbreak of Tumbler Ridge has a name: 12-year-old Maya Gebala. Tonight, she lies in a hospital bed fighting the battle of her life, with her mother by her side begging for a miracle. Doctors have confirmed the hours ahead are the most critical she will face. In a room where hope feels fragile and fear is overwhelming, a family is reaching out to the world for strength. The entire community has fallen silent, lights are flickering in windows, and a nation is united in one single prayer. Keep fighting, Maya. The world is with you.
“A VIGIL FOR MAYA: A COMMUNITY UNITED IN PRAYER. 🕯️🛡️ 12-year-old Maya Gebala survived the unthinkable at Tumbler Ridge Secondary, but her toughest battle is happening right now in the ICU. Her family is asking for one thing: a miracle. As the sun sets, neighbors and strangers alike are standing vigil, refusing to let hope fade. In the face of darkness, we find our strength together. Read the full update on Maya’s condition and how you can support the Gebala family below.
The Chilling Mystery of Kenneka Jenkins: A Party, A Disappearance, A Freezer…  She was just 19 when a night out at a hotel party took a horrifying turn. Somewhere between the music and the chaos, she vanished — unnoticed, unanswered. Hours later, she was found inside a walk-in freezer.  Officials ruled it hypothermia, with alcohol and medication playing a role. No signs of assault. Case closed? Not for everyone. How did she reach a restricted area alone? Why did it take so long to find her? And could this have been prevented?  A grieving family. A furious community. Questions that refuse to fade.
“UNSPEAKABLE LOSS: THE FACES OF TUMBLER RIDGE. 🚨📉 They were students, a teacher, and family members. Today, the victims of Tuesday’s tragedy have been identified, and the stories behind their final minutes are beginning to surface. One specific, haunting detail about what was happening in those classrooms just moments before the attack is leaving investigators and the community completely shaken. How does a normal Tuesday turn into a national scar? Read the full profiles and the update on the ‘silent signal’ that was sent…