A quiet community has been shattered. Authorities have now confirmed that all eight victims in the Tumbler Ridge school shooting have been formally identified — and the heartbreaking details are leaving an entire nation in shock. At an emotional press conference, officials fought back tears as they shared new updates on the investigation. Outside, grieving families stood in silence, candles flickering in the cold air, trying to comprehend the unimaginable loss. Six innocent children. Two more lives gone. Dozens of families forever changed.

Nation in Shock After Tumbler Ridge School Shooting Leaves 8 Dead, Including 6 Children, as Authorities Confirm All Victims Have Now Been Fully Identified in a Tragedy That Has Devastated Families Across Canada

The families of the victims of the mass shooting in a remote Canadian town are grappling with unrelenting grief as details emerge about those killed in the country’s deadliest mass shooting in years

Canada shooting: Nine dead including suspect in attack on Tumbler Ridge high school, police say

Nine people have been killed and dozens injured after an assailant opened fire at a school in western Canada, in one of the deadliest mass shootings in the country’s history. The suspect was later found dead from what appeared to be a self-inflicted injury.

Police found six people dead inside the high school in the remote town of Tumbler Ridge in British Columbia, with a further two bodies found at a residence believed to be connected to the incident.

Another person initially believed to have died on the way to hospital was later said to have survived, but remained in critical condition.

The suspected shooter was found dead at the school, police said, adding they did not believe there were any more suspects or an ongoing threat to the public.

Flowers and toys lie on the ground near the site of a mass shooting at a high school, in the town of Tumber Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.

Tumbler Ridge shooting: what we know so far

Read more

Prime minister Mark Carney said he was “devastated” by the shootings. “I join Canadians in grieving with those whose lives have been changed irreversibly today, and in gratitude for the courage and selflessness of the first responders who risked their lives to protect their fellow citizens,” he said. “Our ability to come together in crisis is the best of our country – our empathy, our unity, and our compassion for each other.”

1:12

British Columbia school shooting ‘one of the worst’ in Canada’s history, officials say – video

The prime minister’s office said Carney had suspended plans to travel to Germany on Wednesday for the Munich security conference.

More than two dozen people have been hospitalised – two with life-threatening injuries – in what British Columbia’s premier, David Eby, called an “unimaginable tragedy”. “It’s hard to know what to say on a night like tonight. It’s the kind of thing that feels like it happens in other places and not close to home,” Eby told reporters.

A police active-shooter alert sent to people in the area described the suspect as “female in a dress with brown hair”. Police Supt Ken Floyd later confirmed at a news conference that the suspect described in the alert was the same person found dead in the school. Police did not say how many of the victims were minors.

The District of Tumbler Ridge issued a statement on Tuesday afternoon, calling the shooting a “deeply distressing” incident for a community of less than 2,500.

1:29

Canadian police give update after deadly school shooting in British Columbia – video

“We recognise that many residents may be feeling shocked, scared and overwhelmed,” the district said. “In the days ahead, we know this will be difficult for many to process. Please check in on one another, lean on available supports, and know that Tumbler Ridge is a strong and caring community.”

Tumbler Ridge is a remote town in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in northern British Columbia, approximately 1,155km northeast of Vancouver.

Tumbler Ridge secondary school has 160 students in grades 7 to 12, roughly ages 12 to 18, according to its website. The school will be closed for the rest of the week and counselling will be made available to those in need, school officials said.

“There are no words that can ease the fear and pain that events like this cause in a school community,” the Tumbler Ridge Parent Advisory Council said in a statement. “We want families to know that the safety and wellbeing of students and staff are paramount, and we are grateful to the first responders and emergency personnel who acted quickly and professionally.”

Officials said the town’s small police force was on the scene within two minutes of receiving a call, and that victims were still being assessed hours after the incident. British Columbia’s public safety minister, Nina Krieger, said at a press conference: “Speed and professionalism saved lives today.”

Earlier, Krieger, said online that news of the shooting was “sending shockwaves through the community and the entire province”.

Police initially issued an emergency active shooter alert on Tuesday afternoon after receiving reports of a shooting at the secondary school at about 1.20pm. The alert told residents to shelter in place, lock their doors and refrain from going outside. The RCMP alert was lifted at 5.45pm.

Supt Floyd told reporters the scene of the shooting was “very dramatic” with extensive injuries. He said all remaining students and staff at the secondary school, numbering about 100 people, had been safely evacuated from the school.

A Google Maps image of Tumbler Ridge Secondary School 
A Google Maps image of Tumbler Ridge Secondary School Photograph: Google Maps

Floyd said police wouldn’t comment on a possible motive.

“We’re following all leads to try to determine the connection to the shooter,” he said. “I think we will struggle to determine the ‘why’, but we will try our best to determine what transpired.”

The town’s health centre was placed on Code Orange, signifying a mass-casualty incident or large-scale emergency response. But given the rural nature of the community, at least two victims were airlifted to larger hospitals. Shock Trauma Air Rescue Service (STARS) said one of its aircraft from Grande Prairie, Alberta, was requested for the incident.

Because of Canada’s strict gun laws, which make it difficult to own both handguns or “assault-style weapons”, the country has experienced far fewer instances of mass violence compared with the United States. Still, the shooting is the second-deadliest school shooting in Canadian history. In 1989, a gunman killed 14 students at Montreal’s L’Ecole Polytechnique in an attack that targeted women. In 2016, five people were killed in a series in La Loche, Saskatchewan.

Speaking to reporters, Eby, a father of three, said news of the shooting “makes you want to hug your kids a little tighter”.

“Wrap these families with love. Not just tonight but tomorrow and into the future. This is something that will reverberate for years to come,” he said. He later added: “This is the kind of thing that feels like it happens in other places, and not close to home in a way that this feels like for many British Columbians and Canadians.”

 This article was amended on 11 February 2026. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police initially said a person had died on the way to hospital; however, they later clarified the person had survived, but remained in critical condition.

Retired French ice dancer Gabriella Papadakis had just two words for her former partner’s gold medal win at the 2026 Winter Olympics.  Papadakis, 30, skated with Guillaume Cizeron for years, and the two even won gold together in 2022. But earlier this year, she accused Cizeron, 31, of being “controlling” and “demanding” in the pages of her memoir So as Not to Disappear.  So when Cizeron, 31, took home yet another free dance gold with his new partner Laurence Fournier Beaudry on Feb. 11, Papadakis responded with an Instagram post featuring two well-known stress relievers: a glass of wine and a pack of cigarettes.  “Logging off xxx,” she captioned the post.   Cizeron has denied Papadakis’s claims against him, telling Reuters in a statement that he was the target of a “smear campaign” and would be pursuing legal action.  But Papadakis has continued to defend her decision to speak out, writing in a Feb. 8 Instagram post that she was choosing to share her experiences in the sport “because I believe in a sport where young athletes don’t have to endure what I did in order to achieve their dreams.”  Related Stories French Ice Dancers Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Guillaume Cizeron Win Gold amid Ongoing Controversy France’s Laurence Fournier Beaudry (L) and France’s Guillaume Cizeron warm up before the figure skating ice dance-free dance final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Gabriel BOUYS / AFP via Getty Images) Why French Ice Dancers Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Guillaume Cizeron Are at the Center of Olympic Controversy  Laurence Fournier Beaudry and France’s Guillaume Cizeron compete in the figure skating team event ice dance-rhythm dance during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games on February 9, 2026 in Milan, Italy. “It is however incredibly difficult to make sport safer when survivors’ voices are still being silenced. I had to end my competitive career because I could no longer tolerate abuse. And now, as a result of speaking up about it I’ve lost my job,” she wrote. “I don’t single myself out as a victim. I use my experience to highlight a reality: as long as survivors are punished for speaking out, the sport cannot truly change or become safer. As the Winter Olympics unfold, I encourage you to engage critically with the spectacle. Spectators have power, and the way we choose to watch, support, question, or look away helps shape the culture of the sport.”  Papadakis was hired as an NBC commentator for the Milan Cortina Games, but was fired from the gig amid the release of her book, as the network felt it was a conflict of interest with Cizeron competing.  Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron of Team France skate during the Ice Dance Rhythm Dance on day eight of the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic Games at Capital Indoor Stadium on February 12, 2022 in Beijing, China. Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron competing at the 2022 Winter Olympics. Matthew Stockman/Getty “We respect Gabriella’s right to tell the story of her life and career. At the same time, her new book creates a clear conflict of interest,” NBC told The New York Times in a statement in January. “Our responsibility is to deliver coverage that our audience can trust to be free of bias — whether actual or perceived — and we regret that is no longer possible given the circumstances.”  In a recent conversation with USA Today Sports’ Christine Brennan, Papadakis said she understands why survivors of abuse don’t speak out.  “I think it’s a bigger societal issue because we often wonder why survivors don’t speak out about abuse and why things don’t change, and this is because it has tremendous negative impact on the survivors’ lives,” she said. “And as long as a society we don’t do anything to change that, things won’t change and ignoring the problems doesn’t make them go away.”  Our new app is here! Free, fun and full of exclusives. Scan to download now!  Cizeron’s new partner has also dealt with scandal. Beaudry paired up with him in March after her boyfriend and former skating partner Nikolaj Sørensen was suspended from the sport following a sexual assault allegation leveled by a coach and former skater. He has denied the allegation, according to CBC, and his six-year suspension was overturned in June.  To learn more about all the Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls, come to people.com to check out ongoing coverage before, during and after the games. Watch the Milan Cortina Olympics and Paralympics, beginning Feb. 6, on NBC and Peacock.
Retired French ice dancer Gabriella Papadakis had just two words for her former partner’s gold medal win at the 2026 Winter Olympics. Papadakis, 30, skated with Guillaume Cizeron for years, and the two even won gold together in 2022. But earlier this year, she accused Cizeron, 31, of being “controlling” and “demanding” in the pages of her memoir So as Not to Disappear. So when Cizeron, 31, took home yet another free dance gold with his new partner Laurence Fournier Beaudry on Feb. 11, Papadakis responded with an Instagram post featuring two well-known stress relievers: a glass of wine and a pack of cigarettes. “Logging off xxx,” she captioned the post. Cizeron has denied Papadakis’s claims against him, telling Reuters in a statement that he was the target of a “smear campaign” and would be pursuing legal action. But Papadakis has continued to defend her decision to speak out, writing in a Feb. 8 Instagram post that she was choosing to share her experiences in the sport “because I believe in a sport where young athletes don’t have to endure what I did in order to achieve their dreams.” Related Stories French Ice Dancers Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Guillaume Cizeron Win Gold amid Ongoing Controversy France’s Laurence Fournier Beaudry (L) and France’s Guillaume Cizeron warm up before the figure skating ice dance-free dance final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena in Milan on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Gabriel BOUYS / AFP via Getty Images) Why French Ice Dancers Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Guillaume Cizeron Are at the Center of Olympic Controversy Laurence Fournier Beaudry and France’s Guillaume Cizeron compete in the figure skating team event ice dance-rhythm dance during the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games on February 9, 2026 in Milan, Italy. “It is however incredibly difficult to make sport safer when survivors’ voices are still being silenced. I had to end my competitive career because I could no longer tolerate abuse. And now, as a result of speaking up about it I’ve lost my job,” she wrote. “I don’t single myself out as a victim. I use my experience to highlight a reality: as long as survivors are punished for speaking out, the sport cannot truly change or become safer. As the Winter Olympics unfold, I encourage you to engage critically with the spectacle. Spectators have power, and the way we choose to watch, support, question, or look away helps shape the culture of the sport.” Papadakis was hired as an NBC commentator for the Milan Cortina Games, but was fired from the gig amid the release of her book, as the network felt it was a conflict of interest with Cizeron competing. Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron of Team France skate during the Ice Dance Rhythm Dance on day eight of the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic Games at Capital Indoor Stadium on February 12, 2022 in Beijing, China. Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron competing at the 2022 Winter Olympics. Matthew Stockman/Getty “We respect Gabriella’s right to tell the story of her life and career. At the same time, her new book creates a clear conflict of interest,” NBC told The New York Times in a statement in January. “Our responsibility is to deliver coverage that our audience can trust to be free of bias — whether actual or perceived — and we regret that is no longer possible given the circumstances.” In a recent conversation with USA Today Sports’ Christine Brennan, Papadakis said she understands why survivors of abuse don’t speak out. “I think it’s a bigger societal issue because we often wonder why survivors don’t speak out about abuse and why things don’t change, and this is because it has tremendous negative impact on the survivors’ lives,” she said. “And as long as a society we don’t do anything to change that, things won’t change and ignoring the problems doesn’t make them go away.” Our new app is here! Free, fun and full of exclusives. Scan to download now! Cizeron’s new partner has also dealt with scandal. Beaudry paired up with him in March after her boyfriend and former skating partner Nikolaj Sørensen was suspended from the sport following a sexual assault allegation leveled by a coach and former skater. He has denied the allegation, according to CBC, and his six-year suspension was overturned in June. To learn more about all the Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls, come to people.com to check out ongoing coverage before, during and after the games. Watch the Milan Cortina Olympics and Paralympics, beginning Feb. 6, on NBC and Peacock.

Gabriella Papadakis won gold with Cizeron in the same event in 2022, four years before she accused him…