$100,000 Reward and a Brand-New Suspect Description: Major Update in Nancy Guthrie Case

The FBI has shared more details about a suspect in its ongoing investigation into the kidnapping of Savannah Guthrie’s mother, Nancy Guthrie.

The FBI Phoenix office announced on Thursday, Feb. 12, that the agency is increasing the reward for any information “leading to the location of Nancy Guthrie and/or the arrest and conviction of anyone involved in her disappearance,” to $100,000.

Previously, the agency said that it would offer $50,000 reward would be offered to individuals with information that led to Nancy’s discovery or the arrest of those involved in her disappearance.

The agency also provided additional details about the suspect, based on the FBI’s Operational Technology Division’s “forensic analysis” of the previously obtained doorbell camera footage.

“The suspect is described as a male, approximately 5’9” – 5’10” tall, with an average build. In the video, he is wearing a black, 25-liter ‘Ozark Trail Hiker Pack’ backpack.”

The agency hopes that the new details will “help concentrate the public tips.”

Since the investigation began on Feb. 1, the FBI has received 13,000 tips from the public. “Every tip is reviewed for credibility, relevance, and information that can be acted upon by law enforcement. Threat Intake Examiners at the National Threat Operations Center (NTOC) and FBI personnel are supporting a 24-hour command post in which dozens of agents and investigators are assigned leads and tips to action each shift.”

1 of 3

Images of a backpack similar to the one the FBI believes the suspect is wearing in the doorbell camera footage

FBI Phoenix/X

FBI Releases New Physical Description of Suspect In Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping
FBI Releases New Physical Description of Suspect In Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping
FBI Releases New Physical Description of Suspect In Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping

FBI Releases New Physical Description of Suspect In Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping

FBI Releases New Physical Description of Suspect In Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping

FBI Releases New Physical Description of Suspect In Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping

The mother of three, 84, is believed to have been abducted from her longtime Tucson, Ariz., home in the early morning hours of Feb. 1.

Law enforcement launched a massive investigation and they believe she was taken against her will, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos said at a press conference on Feb. 3.

Shortly after, the potential kidnapper or kidnappers sent alleged ransom notes tied to Nancy’s disappearance to several media outlets.

On Feb. 7, Savannah and her siblings posted an emotional video on Instagram, saying, “We will pay.”

A big break in the case came on Tuesday, Feb. 10, when authorities released surveillance photos and video footage of an “armed individual” on Nancy’s front porch.

Guthrie suspect

The suspect.FBI Phoenix/X

Man Detained in Nancy Guthrie Case Breaks Silence After Being Released

The images and video the FBI and the Pima County Sheriff’s Department posted to social media show a person wearing a ski mask, a zip-up jacket and gloves — while carrying a backpack — approach Nancy’s front porch.

Surveillance Images, Video Released of ‘Armed’ Subject in Nancy Guthrie’s Kidnapping

One of the videos FBI Director Kash Patel posted on X shows the person appearing to tamper with the Nest camera at Nancy’s front door.

In an Instagram post that Savannah, 54, shared of the armed individual who came to her mother’s door, she wrote, “Someone out there recognizes him. We believe she is still out there. Bring her home.”

Nancy Guthrie's residence on February 11, 2026 in Tucson, Arizona.

Nancy Guthrie; Nancy Guthrie’s Tucson, Ariz. home.Savannah Guthrie/Instagram; Brandon Bell/Getty

Authorities have requested footage from Ring and Nest cameras in the neighborhood, and were testing a black glove found near the home for DNA.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for  PEOPLE‘s free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.

Savannah has been in Arizona with her family as they wait for answers about Nancy’s mysterious disappearance.

In the Instagram post Savannah shared on Feb. 10, she encouraged anyone with information to please contact 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225-5324) or the Pima County Sheriff’s Department 520-351-4900.

A quiet community has been shattered. Authorities have now confirmed that all eight victims in the Tumbler Ridge school shooting have been formally identified — and the heartbreaking details are leaving an entire nation in shock.  At an emotional press conference, officials fought back tears as they shared new updates on the investigation. Outside, grieving families stood in silence, candles flickering in the cold air, trying to comprehend the unimaginable loss.  Six innocent children. Two more lives gone. Dozens of families forever changed.
12 years and 11 months. That was the time Pastor Abel Mwansa had with his son before a Tuesday afternoon changed everything forever. The tragedy in Tumbler Ridge didn’t just take eight lives; it took the heart of a community. From Abel Jr. to 12-year-old Kylie May, the stories of innocence lost are leaving Canada breathless with sorrow. We honor the ‘kind and beautiful souls’ who went to school and became stars in the sky.
URGENT and TERRIFYING APPEAL — Authorities have just dropped a massive new lead in the disappearance of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie: a suspicious vehicle was seen circling her Tucson neighborhood repeatedly in the weeks before she vanished — and police are now pleading with every neighbor to check their surveillance systems for footage that could identify it!
She once begged strangers online to choose kindness.  Jennifer Strang, a 39-year-old mother from a quiet northern town, had spoken publicly about compassion — even when her views put her at odds with people around her. In July 2024, after seeing hateful comments directed at vulnerable youth, she posted an emotional plea: stop spreading cruelty. Think before you type. Remember that words can push struggling kids into despair.  She wrote that she couldn’t shield her children from everything — but she hoped the world would become softer, safer, more understanding.
The mystery of Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance has taken its darkest turn yet. Authorities have unmasked a suspect whose ties lead directly back to the family—specifically a close link to Nancy’s son-in-law. This revelation has forced police to peel back the layers of a complex relationship that may have fueled the entire tragedy. It wasn’t just an abduction; it was a betrayal from the inside.
After months of stalled leads and unanswered questions, a major breakthrough has reportedly shifted the focus of the investigation dramatically. Former detective Gary Jubelin has weighed in, suggesting the case may now center on someone inside the home — a possibility few were prepared to confront.  Authorities say they are treating the situation as a serious criminal matter, with mounting fears about what may have happened in those critical early hours. And according to sources close to the investigation, one newly uncovered detail has effectively erased the last fragile hope that Gus would be found alive.  What changed? What did investigators discover that altered the entire direction of the case?