“I WAS HAUNTED BY THE SIGHT OF THOSE BODIES” — REMAINING MISSING TOURISTS FOUND IN SHARK CAVE AFTER MALDIVES’ WORST DIVING DISASTER The final, horrifying chapter of the Maldives’ deadliest diving tragedy has been revealed: the remaining missing Italian tourists were discovered inside a notorious “shark cave”, sending shockwaves through the diving community and beyond. Witnesses describe a scene so chilling that even seasoned rescue teams were left shaken, with panic and disbelief gripping everyone as the gruesome reality unfolded. Authorities continue to investigate how a routine dive turned into a nightmare, while survivor accounts and haunting footage paint a picture of chaos, fear, and the tragic final moments beneath the waves. WATCH the footage and follow the investigation
The bodies of four remaining Italian divers were found Monday in the Maldives, four days after they went missing while exploring an underwater cave.
An elite team of three expert divers from Finland located the bodies of Monica Montefalcone, 52, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, 20, Muriel Oddenino, 31, and Federico Gualtieri, 31, Italy’s foreign ministry said.
The group was found inside Thinwana Kandu cave, also known as “shark cave,” by the squad, which was assembled in 48 hours by the group Divers Alert Network Europe.

The Maldives coast guard conducts a search and recovery operation in the Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, May 16, 2026.SOPHIA NASIF/EPA/Shutterstock
Their bodies were discovered in the third section of the cave — furthest from the entrance — according to Italy’s Foreign Ministry.
The body of diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, 44, was recovered on Friday near the entrance to the same cave.
The causes of death for the five have not yet been established, Italy’s foreign ministry said.
Stormy weather meant that a yellow warning was in place for passenger boats and fishermen at the time of the dive on Thursday morning at Vaavu Atoll, some 60 miles south of the capital Male, according to police.

Monica Montefalcone, 52, was among the four missing divers found Monday.Greenpeace via AP
A recovery mission to bring the bodies back to the surface will take place over the next few days, authorities said.
“Further dives [are] to be carried out in the coming days to recover the bodies,” Mohamed Hossain Shareef, a Maldivian government spokesperson, told BBC News.

Montefalcone’s daughter, Giorgia Sommacal, was also found.Giorgia Sommacal / Instagram
The elite diving trio, comprised of Sami Paakkarinen, Jenni Westerlund, and Patrik Grönqvist, arrived in the Indian Ocean nation on Sunday to help local authorities with the search.
The divers, who previously took part in the successful rescue of a Thai soccer team in 2018, were called in after local authorities were unable to provide the necessary equipment to reach the 500-foot depth required to enter the caves.
On Saturday, a Maldivian search diver, Sgt. Major Mohamed Mahudhee became the sixth victim of the Maldives’ worst-ever diving disaster when he died in his attempts to locate the missing tourists.

Muriel Oddenino’s body was discovered in the “shark cave” along with her group.Muriel Oddenino / Facebook
A further 20 Italian tourists were on board the Duke of York yacht when it began its doomed mission to the dive site on Thursday.
They have all returned to Italy following the terrifying ordeal.
Authorities are still looking into the circumstances behind the disaster.
The diving group, mostly from the University of Genoa, had permission as part of their research mission to study the coral reefs, including deep dives, but their proposal made no mention of entering the cave, Shareef said.

Federico Gualtieri was recovered along with the others.Federico Gualtieri
Recreational scuba divers in the country are only allowed to dive to depths of up to 100 feet, he previously said.
It isn’t clear why the group of Italian divers went into a cave almost twice as deep.
News
🚨 16FT GREAT WHITE SHARK RIPS DAD APART… TWO LITTLE GIRLS LEFT WITHOUT THEIR HERO 😱💔 38-year-old Steven “Mattas” Mattaboni was attacked while spearfishing off Rottnest Island. Friends pulled him from the water and performed CPR all the way back—but the monstrous 16-foot shark claimed him. His wife has just shared a heart-wrenching tribute, leaving the internet stunned and mourning alongside two little girls who lost their dad in a single terrifying moment.
Heartbroken Wife Pays Tribute to “One-of-a-Kind” Dad Killed by 16ft Great White Shark During Spearfishing Trip Off Rottnest Island. A devoted Western Australian father of two was fatally mauled by a massive great white shark in a horrifying attack witnessed by his closest friends during what should have been a relaxed spearfishing outing near the […]
PARTY CLOTHES. FAMILY TRAGEDY. ONE NIGHT THAT ENDED TOO SOON… 💔🌊
One Hidden Underwater Drop May Have Triggered the Brighton Family Tragedy That Killed Three Cousins Authorities in Brighton are continuing to investigate the devastating deaths of three young women recovered from the freezing sea as new details reveal the victims were blood relatives enjoying time together before the tragedy unfolded. Police previously confirmed the women were […]
😨 CAPTURED ON DEVICE: The last 12 seconds of 5 professional divers’ dive in the Maldives have been revealed 💔💀 An emergency alarm sounded, and within seconds, all 5 were gone—sinking into the ocean. The underwater device recorded every horrifying detail. The full story is more shocking than anyone expected… 👇👇👇
SHOCKING TWIST: Experts Reveal ONE Deadly Flaw That Doomed 5 Experienced Italian Divers in Maldives Cave Despite Perfect Gear! news.mongabay.com Monica Montefalcone, leading seagrass scientist, dies in Maldives diving accident, aged 51 A routine scientific excursion in the turquoise paradise of the Maldives turned into one of the deadliest diving tragedies in the island nation’s […]
💥 TRAGEDY DEEPENS: Military diver dies while trying to recover 4 missing Italian divers in a Maldives cave 😨 Search operations are now suspended. The final GPS readings suggest they came face-to-face with a mysterious presence in the deep waters. Experts are baffled, and the underwater tunnel hides terrifying secrets… 👇👇👇
SHOCKING TWIST: Experts Reveal ONE Deadly Flaw That Doomed 5 Experienced Italian Divers in Maldives Cave Despite Perfect Gear! news.mongabay.com Monica Montefalcone, leading seagrass scientist, dies in Maldives diving accident, aged 51 A routine scientific excursion in the turquoise paradise of the Maldives turned into one of the deadliest diving tragedies in the island nation’s […]
💥 “A GIANT BLACK SHAPE EMERGED…” GPS data from 3 of the missing Italian divers shows they witnessed a huge, shadowy creature in the Maldives cave 😨 Only 15 seconds later, all signals vanished. What lurks in the depths of Vaavu Atoll? The chilling truth is still unknown… 👇👇👇
Five Italian divers die in Maldives cave disaster on May 15, 2026 at 12:29 pm Entrance to the cave-site (Shaff Naeem) Share on social media UPDATED 16 May: Search-team diver with DCI dies Five Italian scuba divers died after entering a cave system at a depth of around 55m yesterday (14 May), in what has become the […]
😨 HAUNTING REVELATION: Monica Montefalcone’s final words echo through the deadly Maldives cave — “WE COULDN’T ESCAPE…” 💔💀 New reports reveal shocking details from inside the underwater tunnel. What went so horribly wrong for the University of Genoa research team? The unanswered questions are sending shockwaves across the diving community… 👇👇👇
Five Italian divers die in Maldives cave disaster on May 15, 2026 at 12:29 pm Entrance to the cave-site (Shaff Naeem) Share on social media UPDATED 16 May: Search-team diver with DCI dies Five Italian scuba divers died after entering a cave system at a depth of around 55m yesterday (14 May), in what has become the […]
End of content
No more pages to load
