THE bodies of four missing Italian tourists have been found by an elite task force in the Maldives, authorities say.

An expert team started a perilous mission to locate the missing divers in “shark cave” this morning – after local search efforts were hampered by bad weather.

Search for bodies of Italian divers continues in the Maldives
The search mission was hampered by bad weatherCredit: EPA
 

Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in Maldives
Giorgia Sommacal was one of the five tourists who disappeared on ThursdayCredit: UGC/UNPIXS
 

Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in Maldives
Monica Montefalcone died in the tragedyCredit: UGC/UNPIXS
 

Illustration of the "Cave Disaster" scuba diving incident, showing a map of the Maldives, the Duke of York Yacht, the dive depth, and theories on how the divers died.
A group of five Italian scuba divers on a university research trip went missing while exploring a cave at a depth of about 160ft on Thursday morning.

Three Finnish divers were deployed to start a fresh search on Monday.

Sami Paakkarinen, Jenni Westerlund, and Patrik Grönqvist arrived on Sunday in the paradise archipelago to help local authorities.

The elite unit located the remaining four bodies after Maldivian authorities recovered one of them last weekend, Italy‘s foreign ministry said.

Diver dies during hunt for Italians who drowned in Maldives as death toll hits 6

Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in Maldives
Muriel Oddenino, one of the five Italian divers, was found on MondayCredit: UGC/UNPIXS
 

Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in Maldives
Gianluca Benedetti had been found last weekendCredit: UGC/UNPIXS
The four missing holidaymakers were Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, Muriel Oddenino, and Federico Gualtieri.

The group – accompanied by Gianluca Benedetti who was found the same day the group went missing – were located inside Thinwana Kandu cave, also known as “shark cave”.

The bodies have been found but a recovery mission will take place over the next few days.

A Maldivian government spokesperson told BBC: “Further dives [are] to be carried out in the coming days to recover the bodies.”

Man arrested at Venezuela Fury’s wedding ‘after BRAWL broke out’ at reception

Five Italians die during cave scuba dive in Maldives
Federico Gualtieri was found dead in ‘shark cave’Credit: UGC/UNPIXS
 

Members of MNDF prepare to take part in a search and recovery operation for four Italian scuba divers in the waters of Vaavu Atoll
The search operation was affected by severe weatherCredit: Reuters
They also said specialised equipment for the recovery is being provided by the UK and Australia – to be used alongside underwater scooters and gas tanks which can recycle air.

Each attempt to dive and retrieve the bodies lasts about three hours – and it is immediately aborted if any obstacles are encountered.

Maldivian authorities are expected to recover two of the four bodies on Tuesday, and another pair on Wednesday.

DAN Europe, the diving safety organisation in charge of the operation, said: “DAN Europe confirms that the international search & recovery team deployed to the Maldives has successfully completed the first operational objective of the mission following today’s initial technical cave dive at the Dhekunu Kandu site, in Vaavu Atoll.”

Search for bodies of Italian divers continues in the Maldives
The operation last week only managed to locate one body before four more were found on MondayCredit: EPA
 

A diver in dark water with a green light illuminating a wall.
Footage from inside the Maldives cave on a previous dive showed how dark the area is
They added: “This marks an important milestone in an operation that remains technically demanding, emotionally challenging, and operationally complex.”

The Italian foreign ministry said their causes of death had not yet been established.

There were 20 other tourists on the Duke of York yacht when the five Italians departed the vessel before going missing.

They have all returned to Italy following the terrifying ordeal.

The elite trio who recovered the bodies can dive to depths of nearly 500ft – a key skill which helped them locate the tourists.

The unit, which was assembled in 48 hours and dispatched by DAN Europe, searched the Alimatha cave complex near the Vaavu Atoll.

Paakkarinen, who has been cave diving since 2004, and Grönqvist, gained international renown for their role in recovering surviving divers in the 2014 Plura incident in Norway.

The divers have worked on some of the world’s most difficult missions.

Laura Marroni, the CEO of DAN Europe, said: “Today’s result is the outcome of extraordinary preparation, technical excellence, and exceptional teamwork.

“We are deeply grateful to the specialists on site, who are operating with professionalism, discipline, and humanity in demanding environments.”

The organisation said the coming days “will be dedicated to the highly delicate recovery procedures”.

A Maldivian military rescue diver died on Saturday – highlighting the mission’s extreme danger and bringing the total death toll to six.

Sergeant-major Mohamed Mahudhee died from decompression illness.

It has since been revealed that the Duke of York yacht, from which they launched the expedition, did not have a permit allowing dives of more than 100ft.

The Italian tour operator that managed the diving trip denied authorising or knowing about the expedition that exceeded local limits, its lawyer told Corriere della Sera on Saturday.

A former military diver claimed that “rules were broken” in the high-risk cave – questioning why the group were allowed on the mission in the first place.

Shafraz Naeem, a veteran of the Maldives National Defence Force, said:  “The authorities have confirmed that the operator exceeded the Maldives’ recreational depth limit of 30 metres and conducted the dives without the necessary permits.

“Everyone knows the rules were broken; they didn’t even have a permit to conduct research at those depths.”

The ex-diver is very familiar with the caves and described the complex series of tunnels.

The entrance to the cave is between 180 to 190ft, nearly double what the permit allowed, and extends down to 330ft.

It forks into different tunnels, and soon becomes pitch-black.

Inside Venezuela Fury’s glam wedding and ‘big softie’ Tyson’s emotional speech

Naeem said: “Even the most experienced divers can face considerable challenges in such environments.”

He believes that the Italian team died due to a combination of factors and stressed that just one “unexpected event can quickly turn into tragedy” at those depths.